For a songwriter, finding the right musical collaborators can be an ongoing process. But all is not lost if the ideal is never achieved: the musical journey can be just as fulfilling as the desired destination. Luckily, Mike Nielsen recently assembled his strongest line-up so far. He has been writing songs for years, working with many local musicians under the moniker Nuke Venus. Now, Chelsey Heidenreich
is singing lead, playing guitar, and incorporating some of her own songs into the newly-formed band Raze the City. Mike adds lead guitar and backing vocals, his son Nick supplies another layer of guitar, and Amy provides vocal harmonies and some tasteful piano accompaniment. With this dense and intricate melodic structure, a tight rhythm section is a necessity. Roger's supportive bass lines and Brian's solid drumming are what keep everything together. The resulting sound can range from lush ballads to straight-up rockers.
With a name like Raze the City, one might expect lyrics of a destructive nature. However, the songs are about destroying only the negative aspects of modern life, allowing us to rebuild using only what's positive. In keeping with their sense of community, they are playing a concert at The Bing on March 29th for the benefit of Gabby, a local 6-year-old girl battling leukemia. To get the word out, Raze the City will bring their acoustified full-band set-up to the 103.1 KCDA Local Lounge this Sunday, showing a mellow counterpoint to the heavier EP tracks that they will spin.
Hear Raze the City on the 103.1 KCDA Local Lounge on Sunday, March 3rd (and catch the replays on March 17th AND 31st)
, 2013 at 10 pm Pacific Time. Tune your radio to 103.1 FM in the Spokane/Post Falls/Coeur d'Alene area or listen live
to the on-line audio stream. You can also hear the live broadcast on your iPhone, iPad, Kindle Fire, Android, or Blackberry with the iHeartRadio app
Here is Raze the City's entire Local Lounge show as high-quality streaming audio:
LISTEN to the 30-minute broadcast
Including these original songs:
- Start a Fight (EP)
- Stronger (live)
- Pedestal (EP)
- Music Box (live)
- Glow (EP)
- Dream Song (live)
- Though Not Yet Passed (EP)
original airdate: Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 at 10 pm PST.
To listen to the streaming audio, all you need is Adobe Flash Player. You may need to allow pop-ups on this page, as the media player will open in a new window.
Check back on this page later to see a video of Raze the City performing "Dream Song" live in the Local Lounge!
See them perform live in the Inland Northwest:
- Saturday, March 2nd, 8pm at Carr's Corner (230 S Washington St in Spokane) with Midnight Mine. Amy and Chelsey are opening the show as back-to-back solo acts.
- Tuesday, March 5th, 7pm at The Grail Venue & Restaurant (4720 Seltice Ave in Coeur d'Alene) with Not for Now and Still the Sky's Limit
- Saturday, March 23rd, 8pm: Raze the City release show at Carr's Corner with Brad Perry, One Match Left, and The Colourflies
- Friday, March 29th, 8pm: A Concert for Gabby at The Bing Crosby Theater (901 W Sprague Ave in Spokane) with Tommy G & The Nug Jug Band and WayWard 2. This performance will benefit Gabby, a local 6-year-old girl, in her fight against leukemia. Tickets can be purchased in advance here.
The 103.1 KCDA Local Lounge is produced with love and care by Matt Loi.
Listen live on your smartphone with the free iHeartRadio app!